This is my twelfth year teaching at EFHS. I have my Masters degree in Arts and Education and am always looking for ways to incorporate the arts into my curriculum. This year, I will be teaching Humanities English 9. Below are the Performance Indicators I will be focusing on in this course:
Reading 1.A - Provide specific textual evidence to support conclusions drawn from the text.
- I can find textual evidence that supports conclusions drawn from the text.
- I can explain how specific textual evidence supports conclusions drawn from the text.
Reading 1.B - Determine what the text says explicitly and make logical inferences from the text.
- I can explain the plot or main points of a text.
- I can make reasonable or accurate predictions based on the information provided.
- I can draw conclusions about the text beyond what is directly stated.
Reading 1.D - Analyze a complex set of ideas or sequence of events by explaining how specific individuals, ideas, or events interact and develop over the course of the text.
- I can analyze how specific individuals interact and develop over the course of the text.
- I can analyze how a complex set of ideas evolves over the course of a text.
- I can analyze the development of a complex sequence of events.
Writing 2.C - Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.
- I can orient the reader by describing a context, situation, or observation.
- I can establish and maintain a point of view and develop a narrator and/or character(s).
- I can create a logical progression of events that build on and connect to one another with a conflict or purpose and a conclusion that provides resolution or reflection.
- I can use sensory language and relevant details to develop setting, plot, character, conflict, and/or theme.
- I can effectively apply narrative techniques (such as dialogue, description, characterization, and reflection) to develop experiences, events, and/or characters.
Speaking and Listening 4.A - Refer to evidence from texts (and other research on the topic or issue) to stimulate a thoughtful, well-reasoned exchange of ideas.
- I can cite text and formulate questions to start or continue a discussion.
- I can provide reasoning for the evidence I choose.
- I can make connections between textual evidence and ideas from my peers.
Speaking and Listening 4.B - Operate effectively in a group to promote a civil exchange of ideas. Set clear goals and deadlines and establish individual roles as needed.
- I can consistently use respectful language when responding to others’ ideas.
- I can collaborate with group members to establish group norms.
- I can follow established group norms.
- I can collaborate with group members to set clear goals and deadlines.
- I can work with group members to set individual roles.
- I can consistently fulfill my designated role in the group.
In addition to the Literacy performance indicators, this course will include direct instruction designed around becoming proficient in the following Transferable Skills:
Self-Direction 2.D: Responsibility for Learning - Demonstrate initiative and responsibility for learning.
- I can complete assignments on time.
- I can use my class or work time effectively to make progress on assignments or tasks.
- I can create and follow a plan to complete large assignments or tasks.
- When I am absent, I can find out what I missed and make it up.
- I can respectfully advocate for specific modifications to meet my learning needs.
- I can submit work that is complete and meets criteria.
Citizenship 4.B: Responsibility - Take responsibility for personal decisions and actions.
- I can be respectful with my words and my actions toward most community members.
- I can help maintain shared spaces.
- I can treat the property of others in a responsible way.
- I usually arrive on time and come prepared with the tools I need.
Check out my syllabus
for more information about my course, its expectations, and the Performance Indicators associated with it.